cups-1.2.9, gentoo 2007.0, and parallel port

B. George deuce4570 at gmail.com
Wed May 16 10:09:38 PDT 2007

I'm new to gentoo, but real new with cups.  I used to use redhat7 thru fedora core 4.  I am having a problem locating and using my parallel port.

my system is such :

AMD AthlonXP 1400
640MB RAM
20 GB HD
HP LaserJet 6L printer on parallel port

kernel 2.6.20-gentoo-r8
cups-1.2.9

what i don't get, is my parallel port is compiled as a module, and loads automatically, dmesg reports that the parport is detected, and even detected the HP.  unfortunately, I don't understand devfs, little things like where is my lp0?  why doesn't cups detect my parallel port?  please let me know what info is needed to help me solve this problem, and i will post it.  If this problem, or one similar, has already been solved, please send me the link.  Thanks in advance