stop vs. cupsdisable

angelb angelb at bugarin.us
Thu May 17 08:57:03 PDT 2007

Hello all.

I'm a bit confused about the use of reject and cupsdisable. These
commands are almost identical in functionality except that one deals
with print jobs and the other, the physical printer itself but both
affects the print jobs.

Reject:
When a printer queue is set to reject, my understanding is the printer
will complete its current print job and subsequent jobs are simply
discarded and never queued up. When I say complete, I mean if there's
a 5Mb file being printed and the printer has not yet received all data and in the middle of printing and receiving data from the server, you
set the printer queue to reject, the printer will continue to
receive/print until it has completely received all data from the
server and printed everything for that current job. True or False?

Cupsdisable:
When a printer queue is set to disable, the printer will halt its
current print job, placed the job back in queue, and stop printing
immediately. Subsequent printjobs will be kept in queue. Whe you start
the printer again, the printer will start printing from the last job
before it was stopped. True or False?

I apologize if this seems obvious but I want to see if I understand it
correctly before documenting for our users.

Any comment or suggestion for above is appreciated.

Thanks,
Angel