Printing like a book

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at infotec.com
Fri May 18 13:36:07 PDT 2007

> Hello,
>
> I want to know how to print 4 pages in one.
>
> Example: I have a report with five A4 pages.
>
> I want to use only to papers. The first paper with 4 pages and more on paper with only one page.
>
> Like a book.
>
> Helder.

The (non-CUPS) "psselect", psnup" and "psbook" commandline utilities can be combined to achieve that.

I assume you want to use a GUI for that. Don't know if Gnome has a utility for this, but with KDE applications (or even any non-KDE application that allows you to set the print command to "kprinter") you can enable a mode that "prints to pamphlet" in the print dialog (this requires psbook/psnup installed nontheless, since KDEPrint provides just a GUI frontend for these):

 (1) load the document into the application                     (*)
 (2) start the print dialog ("kprinter"); select your printer
 (3) click "Properties" button (in top right corner)
 (4) go to the "Filter" tab (rightmost tab)
 (5) click the funnel icon (to icon)
 (6) select the appropriate "Pamphlet Printing" pre-filter      (**)
 (7) click "Save" and/or "OK" and print

(*)  If your document is already PostScript, you can load it into kprinter directly.
(**) If your printer supports duplex printing, you can make the pamphlet in one go by additionally selecting "short side" duplex printing. If not, print it in two passes (first the even, then the odd pages).

Cheers,
Kurt

--
Kurt Pfeifle