accept - password in localhost don't work

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at infotec.com
Fri May 18 13:59:47 PDT 2007

> Hello all.
>
> If I run the accept command in a client with a regular user account,
> it ask for password in the localhost. If I enter my password, it never
> takes it:
>
> cupsserver1:./stimpy> accept ricoh
> Password for stimpy on localhost?
> Password for stimpy on localhost?
> Password for stimpy on localhost?
> Password for stimpy on localhost?
> Password for stimpy on localhost?
> Password for stimpy on localhost?
>
> What controls this access?

Two things:

First, your "location" access control settings in cupsd.conf. Look for these:

  "<Location />.................</Location>"
  "<Location /printers>.........</Location>"
  "<Location /printers/ricoh>...</Location>"

(Each one which is present spans multiple lines.)

Second, the "OpPolicy" that is assigned to your printer. Different policies are defined via the "<Policy ...>" tags in cupsd.conf. Look for the one that is valid for your "ricoh" printer

  (a) either in /etc/cups/printers.conf
  (b) or in the web interface via the "Job Operation" setting at bottom of
      http://localhost:631/admin/?op=set-printer-options&printer_name=ricoh
      (heh, that will probably not work for now as long as you have the
      current problem unsolved).

There should at least be a "<Policy default>...</Policy>" defined in your cupsd.conf (that policy ships by default with CUPS).

Inside the respective Policy definition, it is a "Limit" directive that contains the "CUPS-Accept-Jobs" operation that may be limiting who can or can not set the printer to "accepting" state, and what type of authentication may be required.

Cheers,
Kurt

--
Kurt Pfeifle