accept - password in localhost don't work

angelb angelb at bugarin.us
Fri May 18 14:28:03 PDT 2007

> > Hello all.
> >
> > If I run the accept command in a client with a regular user account,
> > it ask for password in the localhost. If I enter my password, it never
> > takes it:
> >
> > cupsclient:./stimpy> accept ricoh
> > Password for stimpy on localhost?
> > Password for stimpy on localhost?
> > Password for stimpy on localhost?
> > Password for stimpy on localhost?
> > Password for stimpy on localhost?
> > Password for stimpy on localhost?
> >
> > What controls this access?
>
> Two things:
>
> First, your "location" access control settings in cupsd.conf. Look for these:
>
>   "<Location />.................</Location>"
>   "<Location /printers>.........</Location>"
>   "<Location /printers/ricoh>...</Location>"
>
> (Each one which is present spans multiple lines.)
>
> Second, the "OpPolicy" that is assigned to your printer. Different policies are defined via the "<Policy ...>" tags in cupsd.conf. Look for the one that is valid for your "ricoh" printer
>
>   (a) either in /etc/cups/printers.conf
>   (b) or in the web interface via the "Job Operation" setting at bottom of
>       http://localhost:631/admin/?op=set-printer-options&printer_name=ricoh
>       (heh, that will probably not work for now as long as you have the
>       current problem unsolved).
>
> There should at least be a "<Policy default>...</Policy>" defined in your cupsd.conf (that policy ships by default with CUPS).
>
> Inside the respective Policy definition, it is a "Limit" directive that contains the "CUPS-Accept-Jobs" operation that may be limiting who can or can not set the printer to "accepting" state, and what type of authentication may be required.

Thanks for your reply. I checked your suggestion and unfortunately,
it's still not working. Still asking for password in the localhost
(client).

cupsclient# egrep "Location|Policy" cupsd.conf printers.conf
cupsd.conf:#<Location />
cupsd.conf:#</Location>

I'm not currently implementing Location and Policy directives in my
client.

Thanks,
Angel