[cups.general] Print Accounting

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Sun May 20 13:58:55 PDT 2007

Hi,

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 02:33:50AM -0400, Balaji Rao wrote:

> I need to develop a printing accounting system which keeps track
> of the users printing statistics. So, i should be able to recieve
> notifications from cups when a printer job arrives.

Why do you want to reinvent the wheel ?

Not counting CUPS itself, there are at the very least the following
free software which already feature print accounting for CUPS :

        - Jasmine (Nicolas Costes)
        - Cups Filter Quota and Log (Andreas Bohne-Lang)
        - accsnmp (Jeff Hardy)
        - lpdacc (Jeff Hardy)
        - J-CUPS backend (Pascal Aubry)
        - SGQI (Rodrigo Zadra Armond)
        - PrintBill, seems to be dead though (Daniel Franklin)
        - PyKota (me)
        - Tea4CUPS + pkpgcounter (me)

I'm not even counting the proprietary ones.

Just curious.

bye

Jerome Alet