printing to a linux server from suse (no page accounting)

Mauro ik4qix at gmail.com
Mon May 21 07:04:30 PDT 2007

Hi all, forgive me if I ask something that has been answered many times, but I searched and searched without finding any solution to my (maybe stupid) problem.

I have a simple cups server connected to a xerox postscript printer (using the .ppd of the manufacturer). I set up several windows client with the adobe postscript driver and they are all able to print to the ipp server in postscript (i.e. in such a way that I can obtain a meaningful entry in the page_log file).

Then the problem. I set up my laptop (suse 10.2) so that it prints on the ipp queue on the ipp server. It does, but only with a application/vnd.cups-raw mime type and obviously page accounting does not work.

Question: how can I tell cups on my laptop to avoid sending binary data to the remote queue? I would like to do local filtering and yet to avoid binary data to be sent to the ipp server.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you
Mauro

p.s. I have already tried to do remote filtering, but then I cannot set or unset duplex at my will...