Banners and WinXP as a client

Bill Weaver bweaver at pacplanet.com
Mon May 21 09:05:47 PDT 2007

In a mostly Linux environment, I have configured CUPS to utilize it's security banners, adding a script to change the banner based on the posture level of the connected/host system, stopping and restarting CUPS for the new banner to take effect.  Additionally I am using the implicit class functionality to allow 4 seperate CUPS servers to run in tandom for failover of printing services.  The remaining Linux clients print to their primary print services host (i.e. 'ServerName') identified in their respective client.conf file. So far so good. CUPS fail's over properly to the remaining 3 print servers with no problem.  For the few Windows XP/2003 hosts on the system, we have setup a virtual IP and hostname bonded to one of those 4 hosts providing print services.  The Windows clients connect to this virtual host weith no problem and follow it as it fails from one to the next CUPS server (the bonded virtual IP moves on status feedback).  The Linux clients print with the respective banner page(s) and security level header/footers.  My problem is the Windows clients do not print the banners and header/footers if banners is only configured in the cupsd.conf file.  If I additionaly configure banners in printers.conf, the Windows clients print the banner page(s), but not the associated header/footer for the security level.  I have been using 'lpd://<CUPS virtual hostname>/<printer queue name>' for the Windows clients, as well as setting up a Samba share for the same printer.  Neither method solved the problem.  I have tried passing the content as 'RAW' also.  I have tried 'googling' this but have not found any links to banners and Windows clients. It appears that the Windows clients when passed to the CUPS print service read the configuration of the printer queue (printer) from the printers.conf file, but the additional configuration details from cupsd.conf are not used.  I do not use the classes.conf file here as it is not needed, but at one point I did and adding the banners there did not solve the problem either.  Any clues or ideas on things I might have overlooked?  Thanks for any help.