remote printing authentication

sam shiyongsheng_ca at yahoo.com
Tue May 22 01:52:07 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I am kind of new to CUPS, so the quesion might be stupid.

I installed CUPS on a linux (fedora) machine and I added a printer named hostname:631/printers/printer_name in my xp laptop. The printing was successful. However, I want some authentication process, such as prompting a message box asking username and password, before I can print something. Because I do not want others access this printer via Internet (just in case).

I gusee I have to setup something in cupsd.conf, but do not know how.

anyone can help on this?