How to use an USB-Parallel converter

Juergen Gerstacker ffm1234 at gmx.de
Wed May 23 00:18:09 PDT 2007

Hello!

I have a pocket printer (canon bj30) with only parallel cable.
To print from my laptop, I have a converter (PL2305 chipset).

I managed one time to print the testpage from localhost:631.
The device was given as 'usb:/#unknown' or the like.
I was very glad, that the setup was so easy.

At other times, printing wouldn't work, and reinstalling either.

The hardware is ok, I can print with 'cat filename >/dev/usb/lp0'.

'lsusb' gives
'Bus 001 Device 002: ID 067b:2305 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2305 Parallel Port'

But the printer/converter is not included in 'lpinfo -v'

And with localhost:631 there is no direct interface given.

Who can help me? please!
There are no similar printers on the market, I really want to keep this printer.

Maybe the story sounds unbelievable, but it is true. I have the printed test page.

Thanks, Juergen