Job NOT being filtered

Stefan Adams stefan at borgia.com
Wed May 23 07:09:34 PDT 2007

> Stefan Adams wrote:
> > It's possible to filter a job of text sent from the command line, right?
> >
> > Like this:
> >
> > # echo hi | lpr
> >
> > # cat /etc/cups/*.{types,convs}
> > text/hi         printable(0,1024) + string(0,hi)
> > text/hi              application/vnd.cups-postscript    3       skeleton
> >
> > # ls -l /usr/lib/cups/filter/skeleton
> > -rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 3522 May 22 20:01 /usr/lib/cups/filter/skeleton*
> >
> > # cat /usr/lib/cups/filter/skeleton
> > #!/usr/bin/perl
> > $|=1;
> > open TMP, ">/tmp/skeleton.tmp";
> > print TMP qx{date};
> > close TMP;
> > exit 0;
> > [...]
>
> What springs to my eyes at the first glance is that your
> filter does not follow the filter calling conventions.

Filter calling conventions?  Please explain?

I've removed out every piece possible to make this as simple as possible.  I've started with Andreas Bohne-Lang's Cups Filter/Backend NOP and could not get it to work.  I've tried and tried again and have reduced it all to the most simple stuff I can think of.  At this point, I don't even care if it prints, the problem is that the filter is not being executed at all.

I've even tried in my .convs file:

*/*     application/vnd.cups-postscript    3       skeleton

But skeleton will not get run!