Job NOT being filtered

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Wed May 23 07:22:04 PDT 2007

Stefan Adams wrote:

>>>It's possible to filter a job of text sent from the command line, right?
>>>
>>>Like this:
>>>
>>># echo hi | lpr
>>>
>>># cat /etc/cups/*.{types,convs}
>>>text/hi         printable(0,1024) + string(0,hi)
>>>text/hi              application/vnd.cups-postscript    3       skeleton
>>>
>>># ls -l /usr/lib/cups/filter/skeleton
>>>-rwxr-xr-x  1 root root 3522 May 22 20:01 /usr/lib/cups/filter/skeleton*
>>>
>>># cat /usr/lib/cups/filter/skeleton
>>>#!/usr/bin/perl
>>>$|=1;
>>>open TMP, ">/tmp/skeleton.tmp";
>>>print TMP qx{date};
>>>close TMP;
>>>exit 0;
>>>[...]
>>
>>What springs to my eyes at the first glance is that your
>>filter does not follow the filter calling conventions.
>

> Filter calling conventions?  Please explain?
>
> I've removed out every piece possible to make this as simple as possible.  I've started with Andreas Bohne-Lang's Cups Filter/Backend NOP and could not get it to work.  I've tried and tried again and have reduced it all to the most simple stuff I can think of.  At this point, I don't even care if it prints, the problem is that the filter is not being executed at all.
>
> I've even tried in my .convs file:
>
> */*     application/vnd.cups-postscript    3       skeleton
>
> But skeleton will not get run!
>

>>Helge
>>

>>--

A CUPS compatible filter needs to accept the following command line
options (in this order):
	job-id		(an integer)
	username
	job-title
	number-of-copies (an integer)
	job-options	(a string containing the options separated by white space)
	file-to-print	(this is optional, if not provieded, the filter needs
			to read from STDIN).
The filter's output *MUST* go to STDOUT.

And, when introducing a new filter, you need to restart CUPS
(or at least issue a kill -HUP pidof(cupsd) to force a
reload).

For further details, see the documentation (which came with your
distribution, or read the documentation at www.cup.org)

Helge

--
Helge Blischke