Printers accept jobs while set to off-line.

Ruben Ruben_Suarez at flsd.uscourts.gov
Fri May 25 08:16:26 PDT 2007

I have just installed CentOS 5 with Cups version 1.2.4.  Everything is pretty smooth except one issue that was discovered.  If a printer is off-line for any reason,(out of paper, paperjam, etc..), my server sends around 4-8 jobs before it realizes that the server is not accepting or processing any jobs and then will put the remaining jobs on queue.  As a result any power cycle to the printer will erase all of the jobs stored in the printers memory.  When I look at the printer's job history in the web manager it shows the 4-8 jobs before being off-line as completed.  I am not sure if this is a server configuration, a printer configuration, or just the design.

My printers are all HP Laserjet 4xxx and 8xxx series.  From the server I am creating socket jet direct ports as well as ipp ports.

Ex.  Device URI: ipp://xxx.xxx.7.199/ipp/
                 socket://xxx.xxx.7.221:9100

I have gone through the documentation but can't seem to find any setting that will tell the server to check the status of printers.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ruben