No Printer Returned

Kurt Pfeifle kurt.pfeifle at infotec.com
Fri May 25 12:10:01 PDT 2007

> > rpcclient talks to Samba. Are you wanting to use Samba as a means to share your CUPS printers to Windows clients?
> >
> > If yes, you need to set this up in the Samba configuration, smb.conf and elsewhere.
> >
> > See also
> >
> >   --> http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/classicalprinting.html
> >   --> http://us4.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/CUPS-printing.html
> >

> > If you just want to see the printers installed on a CUPS server, run this command from any CUPS client (Unix, Linux, Mac OS X):
> >
> >   lpstat -h cups_server -p
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Kurt
> >

> > --
> > Kurt Pfeifle
> > System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS
> > Infotec Deutschland GmbH - A RICOH Company .......... Stuttgart/Germany
> >

> Yeah, I want to use Samba as a means to share CUPS printers to Windows clients.
>
> I already followed the classical printing one and everything has worked fine up to this point.
>

> When I check cups (I forget which command I used, since it was yesterday) I get the following error.
> cupsd: Child exited with status 98!
>
> Now I've searched around and all I get is people telling me to reinstall CUPS. I've done that multiple times and still no success.
>
> Thanks for trying to help Kurt, but would you happen to have any more ideas?

Well the "classical printing" chapter deals mainly with non-/pre-CUPS Samba printing, and lays out some basics about Windows printing (re. the clients).

You ought to look at the "cups printing" chapter as well, if you want to set up CUPS with Samba for printing.

If your "rpcclient ..." command does not work as expected (or returns a message that tells you "no printers") it means that Samba does not know the printers that are there in CUPS.

It could mean a lot of things. Like...

  ...your Samba is too old (you didn't tell which one you use).
  ...your Samba is compiled without CUPS support.
  ...your Samba is mis-/un-configured

Provide more details if you want to get some more hints. The way you introduced your "problem", by quoting the "rpcclient...." command with its response was not geared to help us think about possible causes.

Cheers,
Kurt