Problems with network printing to an HP PSC 750

Dan the Man danman.danman at gmail.com
Wed May 30 19:43:56 PDT 2007

Hi, I have an HP PSC 750 hooked up to a debian box (Debian Etch) via usb.  Printing from the debian box works fine with lp (lpr does not, but I'm not worried about that right now).  I don't have a window manager on there, so I can't really test any gui printing.

I also have a laptop running Ubuntu (Feisty), and I'm trying to set up network printing to the PSC 750.  I've mostly been trying to do this via the ubuntu box's cups web interface (http://localhost:631).  I keep getting stuck on the URI portion.  I should be using ipp, right?  Is there a single proper uri that will work or will several possibilities work? Most everything I've tried is some variation of...

ipp://debian_server_name/printer/PSC_750

...where PSC_750 is the correct name on the debian box (and I've also tried the debian box's ip).  No matter what I pick, when I try to print a test page via the ubuntu cups web interface, I always get "Network host 'debian_server_name' is busy; will retry in 30 seconds...".  And I eventually have to kill the job.  The server "debian_server_name" is configured properly in /etc/hosts; pinging and logging in via ssh works fine.

A couple other things...from the ubuntu box, should I be able to do something like "hp-makeuri debian_server_name"?  I try this (also with the ip) and get back "error: Device not found".  Will this only work if snmp is configured properly on both machines (as I think I read)?  I read a little about snmp, and it makes my head spin.

Should I be able to access a web interface at "http://debian_server_name:631"?  It does not appear to exist.

The cups versions (these are package names, I think) are 1.2.7-4 on the debian box and 1.2.8-0ubuntu8 on the ubuntu laptop.  Please let me know what other info I can provide that you might need.

And thanks very much for any help in resolving this...

Dan