environment variable PRINTER readonly in Filters?

Andreas Bohne-Lang andreas.bohne-lang at zmf.ma.uni-heidelberg.de
Fri May 4 02:41:26 PDT 2007

OK - in general I would like to ask if the environment variable is 'readonly' for CUPS filters? It would be nice if the cups main routine could reload the PRINTER variable and set it to the value the filter changed. One example was 'short job queue'.

At the moment I am working on a routine that checks the toner on the destination printer before printing (by SNMPv2-SMI::mib-2.43.11.1.1.9.1.1)  and it would be nice if I could redirect the job to another printer by changing the variable if the toner is less.

Possible?

Greetings -- Andreas