[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #2391: local.types can't override mime.types

Stijn Hoop stijn at sandcat.nl
Tue May 22 06:59:40 PDT 2007

Hello Michael,

On Tue, 22 May 2007 09:11:17 -0400 (EDT)
Michael Sweet <mike at easysw.com> wrote:
> [STR Closed w/o Resolution]
>
> application/octet-stream *is* uncommented in mime.types, however the
> passthrough filter in mime.convs *isn't*, at least not with the
> standard CUPS distribution, so raw files won't be printed unless you
> enable it or have an interface script.
>
> If you want to disable application/octet-stream completely (which
> prevents unidentified file types from getting through), the only way
> to do it is to edit mime.types and deal with updating it after every
> upgrade...
>
> Another way around this is to define a new MIME type that matches the
> files you are trying to prevent from printing - just don't define a
> conversion filter...
>
> Finally, if you are using interface scripts, the script can look at
> CONTENT_TYPE and disallow application/octet-stream printing.
>
> Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2391
> Version: 1.2.11
> Fix Version: None

I can see what you're saying, but I thought it was still possible to
print raw files in the current default situation (uncommented line in
mime.types) by passing option '-o raw' ?

If not, then I'll can understand your explanation -- I was trying to
prevent people from submitting unknown print jobs specifically, not
particular types.

I noticed the change in defaults as I was upgrading from 1.2.5 where
this was commented; the comments at the top of the file were the first
that mentioned a (new to me) local.types file, which led to my report.

Regards,

--Stijn