[cups.general] Where to get PPD files?

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu Nov 1 00:05:19 PDT 2007

I have a Laserjet 4M Plus and I need a PPD file for it. I have googled
and searched everywhere, but I cannot find the PPD file for this
printer. I did find a file at adobe.com, but it is a self-extracting
compressed file that (presumably) contains PPD files for every
PostScript printer ever sold by HP. Plus, the file size is only 43K,
which seems too small. Nevertheless, I'd download it if I had a way to
open a self-extracting zip file on Linux.

I looked all over cups.com, linuxprinting.org, hp.com, and
openprinting.org and all I can find is references to PPD files, how
cool they are, why I need them, but I can't find the actual FILES. I've
spent hours looking. Can someone tell me where the PPD files are hiding?