Need to pass document filename to filters

Dennis W. Tokarski dwt at PolTec.COM
Fri Nov 2 17:12:50 PDT 2007

Hi,

Recently I've been handed a print system requirement that each page
regardless of source format or destination printer shall have a footer
and/or headers added showing various job properties--job id, page
number, etc.

Pretty much all of this is working by means of a filter inserted
just after the pstops stage of the pipeline. It inserts the
necessary postscript bits into the print stream to make the footer
appear.

However, one of the info items I'm supposed to include is the
original document file name, but I don't see that it's available
anywhere.

The problem seems to be that if the print job originates from
an application like a web browser, editor, or word processor--anything
other than lp or lpr in fact--the filename arg is a null string.
Sometimes the title winds up being the file basename, but that's
hardly consistent.

Does anyone here see any way to reliably pass the original document
file name through to the filters?  The CUPS servers is on an Ubuntu
Feisty box and all jobs originate locally if that helps.

Thanks!

  --Dennis Tokarski
    PolTec Electronics