[cups.general] Printing multiple paper sizes via a single queue.

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Nov 5 15:21:47 PST 2007

henri wrote:

> If we have two queues one for A4 and one for A3 this results in an
> additional choice for people when printing.

If you have only one queue, this *also* results in an additional joice
for people when printing.

Because for commandline printing, they need to use either of

  -o PageSize=A3
  -o PageSize=A4

(well, not completely true; one of the two will be the default
value, and they'd only need to add that when they want to over-
ride the default).

For GUI printing, they'd need to pick the paper size as well
through an extra step (and possibly 4 extra clicks).

One other alternative is to set up a separate "printer instance" for
A3. That instance will appear as a separate printer in the GUI or on
an "lpstat -p" commandline. But it would use the same queue (which means
start/stop + enable/disable the master queue would also stop the in-
stances) -- and your Pykota configuration could not be be different be-
tween the instances as well.

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS