[cups.general] network performance with big print job

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Wed Nov 7 11:09:27 PST 2007

On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 10:59:03AM -0800, Brian O'Hare wrote:

> We have an application deployed on a CentOS linux server which will send print jobs to a CUPS printer configured on that server but with printer located at another location on the network.
>
> Make and Model: HP LaserJet 4350 Postscript
> Device URI: socket://192.168.124.241
>
> There will be large print jobs sent to this printer e.g. PDF files of 40Mb
>
> Will this degrade the performance of the network?

How could you expect an answer with so few details ?

What is important to know is the available bandwidth between clients
and server and between server and printer, and the number of print
jobs per day (and possibly per peak periods).

If you've got Gigabit Ethernet all the way to the printer, and
there's only one 40 Mb job per day, chances are you won't notice
anything.

The printer driver plays a role too, because your 40 Mb print job could
easily translate into 1 Gb of PCL code sent from the CUPS server to
the printer.

bye

Jerome Alet