IPP authentication between cups servers don't work?

Gregor Friedrich gregor.friedrich at biotec.tu-dresden.de
Mon Nov 12 04:44:18 PST 2007

Hello list,

we are trying to setup a new printing system with authentication. We have Mac OS (10.3.x, 10.4.x), Linux (Suse, Debian) and Windows clients. We plan to use IPP for Mac OS and Linux and Samba for the windows clients.

The problem is on Mac Os and Linux when we use the client local cups server with "BrowsePoll Servername" statement in cupsd.conf: we can see all the queues form the server but the job will not print. It stays in the  queue of the local cups server although we provided authentication information. It could be "approved for printing in the jobs menue, but this doesn't work also.

It works great without the local cups server and "client.conf" but we need the local cups for user specific printers like mac os adobe pdf printer.

Is there a solution?

Thanks Gregor