[cups.general] windows client

Ladinig Rudolf r.ladinig at aon.at
Tue Nov 13 10:05:11 PST 2007

Hello,

I have questions about printing from windows clients. Until now I
installed the windows driver locally and connected through ipp to the ip
address of my CUPS-Server. But this way I get no page_log for
accounting, etc.

Then I tested printing from windows to samba with cupsaddsmb
(Point'n'Print) ; It's working fine but I want to have control about the
printers allowed on one specific windows host. And as far as I see every
user has to connect to this special printer.

When i tested ESP Print Pro client for window the program complains
about a missing ppd;

I have 2 questions:

Is it possible to have server-side printing and accounting without samba
(for example with ESP Print Pro windows client)?

When I use Point'n'Print, is it possible to control access to printers
by hostname (as it is controlled with cups in Linux)?

Rudolf Ladinig