Acrobat reader 8 & generic windows driver = fail

Klaus k.slott at pubhealth.ku.dk
Fri Nov 16 05:01:10 PST 2007

Hi

Our IT department is delivering file and print service for 200+ windows XP
users based on SUSE servers. We have been using espprintpro for several
years now and lately changed to the standard CUPS package delivered with
openSUSE. Printing work perfectly using the generic ps-drivers (with
cupsaddsmb) until Adobe reader 8 came around.

Users printing from start and including page 2 from any document using
Adobe8 always gets this output on page 2 and no further pages:

ERROR: undefinedresource
OFFENDING COMMAND: findresource

STACK:
/CSA
/0
/CSA
-mark-

even more puzzling. The same use can specify to print a page range from 2 to
(end) and get the job done without further problems. Selecting
Advanced -> "Postscript level 2" in the Adobe print-panel also seems to help
in most cases. We have a few special printers and thus using the
manufacture supplied driver - they have not show any problems.

The problem is on the old epsprintpro package and on a fresh install on a
openSUSE 10.3. Setup according to this page
http://www.cups.org/doc-1.2/man-cupsaddsmb.html

We have a wide range of different printers/makes and would really not like
to have to install binary drivers for all. Have anybody found workaround for
this problem?

--
Regards
Klaus Slott