[cups.general] Sharp AR-M620N with user account numbers.

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Fri Nov 16 06:18:34 PST 2007

Hello,

On Nov 16 05:47 Helge Blischke wrote (shortened):
> Patrick Rady wrote:
> > I am trying to use a Sharp AR-M620N in a multitenant environment.
> > Users *must* enter their account number with print jobs.
> > Windows and Mac users enter their code into a dialog box under
> > printer preferences. The driver creates a PS or PCL file with
> > some PJL commands at the start, including one to control accounting
> > details on the photocopier:
> > @PJL SET ACCOUNTNUMBER="01253"
> One possible solution might be to enforce a special filter
> by using the
> 	*cupsFilter
> statement in the respecive printer's PPD, that inserts
> the needed PJL statement and gets the account number from a
> job attribute (command line option). Note that some of
> the GUI programs aroune (like xpp) permit to issue user
> defined options.

If there is a fixed mapping "user-login-name" -> "account-number"
it could be hardcoded into the filter (or read from a config
file by the filter) because the filter knows "user-login-name"
as argv[2], see "man filter".

As filters are run under the user "lp" it should be sufficiently
secure when the filter and its config file can only be read
by the user "lp".

For some documentation regarding "Using Your Own Filters
to Print with CUPS" have a look at
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Using_Your_Own_Filters_to_Print_with_CUPS

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner