general performance

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Fri Nov 16 11:25:57 PST 2007

munroe wrote:
> We have an HP4100tn printer.

Are you running it as a PostScript or as a PCL/Raster printer? (I
*believe* that modell always comes with PostScript Level 2, and
you should make sure you test it with a PostScript-PPD before you
do use a hpijs or gutenprint or ghostscript driver....

> As a test document I have an 8page pdf.
> When printing through a cups server (ubuntu, debian, OS X) the docu-
> ment will print in spurts (2 pages at a time).

Is this PDF a scanned paper document, by any chance?

If so, does it help if you set

RIPCache 64m

(instead of the "8m" default setting) in cupsd.conf (or even higher,
if your machine can spare that amount of RAM). RIPCache tells CUPS
to limit the amount of memory cache used by its raster filter pro-
cesses to that value.

See also

   http://localhost:631/help/ref-cupsd-conf.html?QUERY=RIPCache#RIPCache

--