cups on hp/ux 11.11 performance

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Fri Nov 16 12:04:35 PST 2007

Mark Sommer wrote:

> Working with a client's install.  We have an issue where we have 48
> printers of varying types which has become very slow.  I mention 48
> printers become very slow.  In tracking down where the slowness is,
> I believe it's in spooling the jobs.  lpstat -t for example can take
> anywhere from 15 seconds to 30 seconds to complete.  Spooling a single
> job takes up to 40 seconds.  It's traversing the entire list of printer
> and I'm not sure why or what's causing the slowness.  I did see a bug
> in GTK+ prior to 2.10.12 had a bug listed which seemed related:
>
> * modules/printbackends/cups/gtkprintbackendcups.c: Get all
> 	the printer attributes when getting the list of printers,
> 	not via separate requests.  (#387889, Krishan Purahoo)
>
> but I don't see cups linking into gtk+ on this system.

Naah. It would rather be the other way round.

> Furthermore
> the version of GTK+ on this system is 2.10.13, so I'm looking for
> ideas on where to look next.

With questions like this, it helps *immensely* to not only know which
OS (HP-UX 11.11 here), but also which CUPS version is used.

What specific cupsd.conf instructions? How many print clients? Do
the clients poll, or does the server push its printer list to the
clients ("Browsing")? How many jobs are listed in /var/spool/cups/ ?
How much RAM is available on the system? Are there DNS issues in-
volved?

etc.pp. ....

--
Kurt Pfeifle