cups on hp/ux 11.11 performance

Mark Sommer mark.cups at somware.com
Sat Nov 17 10:15:32 PST 2007

> Mark Sommer wrote:
>
> > Working with a client's install.  We have an issue where we have 48
> > printers of varying types which has become very slow.  I mention 48
> > printers become very slow.  In tracking down where the slowness is,
> > I believe it's in spooling the jobs.  lpstat -t for example can take
> > anywhere from 15 seconds to 30 seconds to complete.  Spooling a single
> > job takes up to 40 seconds.  It's traversing the entire list of printer
> > and I'm not sure why or what's causing the slowness.  I did see a bug
> > in GTK+ prior to 2.10.12 had a bug listed which seemed related:
> >
> > * modules/printbackends/cups/gtkprintbackendcups.c: Get all
> > 	the printer attributes when getting the list of printers,
> > 	not via separate requests.  (#387889, Krishan Purahoo)
> >
> > but I don't see cups linking into gtk+ on this system.
>
> Naah. It would rather be the other way round.
>
> > Furthermore
> > the version of GTK+ on this system is 2.10.13, so I'm looking for
> > ideas on where to look next.
>
> With questions like this, it helps *immensely* to not only know which
> OS (HP-UX 11.11 here), but also which CUPS version is used.
>
> What specific cupsd.conf instructions? How many print clients? Do
> the clients poll, or does the server push its printer list to the
> clients ("Browsing")? How many jobs are listed in /var/spool/cups/ ?
> How much RAM is available on the system? Are there DNS issues in-
> volved?
>
> etc.pp. ....
>
> --
> Kurt Pfeifle
> System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS
> Infotec Deutschland GmbH  .....................  Hedelfinger Strasse 58
> A RICOH Company  ...........................  D-70327 Stuttgart/Germany

Kurt,

Just want to thank you for the reply and help.  You very last question pointed me in the right place.  Unknown to me, a secondary DNS server was down (crashed).  As soon as we brought it back up, the problem vanished.  Thank you very much.  In the future (hopefully I won't need to), I will be more specific in the problem description.  Once again, thank you!

~Mark