[cups.general] Forcing Blank & White

Bill Moseley moseley at hank.org
Sat Nov 17 15:02:11 PST 2007

I'd like to create a separate black and white only spooler and make
this the default.  I'd like to save on color toner when not needed,
such as when printing drafts and copies of web pages.  I'd also like
to default to duplex printing for all users.

The printer is a HP Color LaserJet 2605dn (postscript printer), and I
created a second entry in printer.conf to use a modified PPD.

    <DefaultPrinter HP_BW_LaserJet_2605>
        Info HP 2605dn - Black & White (drafts!)
        Location Office
        DeviceURI socket://color_laser:9100
        State Idle
        StateTime 1180200175
        Accepting Yes
        Shared Yes
        JobSheets none none
        QuotaPeriod 0
        PageLimit 0
        KLimit 0
        OpPolicy default
        ErrorPolicy stop-printer
    </Printer>
    <Printer HP_Color_LaserJet_2605>
        Info HP Color LaserJet 2605dn
        Location Office
        DeviceURI socket://color_laser:9100
        State Idle
        StateTime 1180200175
        Accepting Yes
        Shared Yes
        JobSheets none none
        QuotaPeriod 0
        PageLimit 0
        KLimit 0
        OpPolicy default
        ErrorPolicy stop-printer
    </Printer>

    $ diff HP_BW_LaserJet_2605.ppd HP_Color_LaserJet_2605.ppd
    70c70
    < *ColorDevice: False
    ---
    > *ColorDevice: True

Now, printing from, say, OpenOffice one printer prints in B&W and the
other in Color.

But, printing in Firefox to the "HP_BW_LaserJet_2605" spooler still
prints in color.  Does Firefox somehow bypass the PPD?  Or does it
enable color printing by default?

I guess my PPD hack isn't correct, or there's something else I'm
missing on how the PPD is used by Firefox.

Is there a better way to set this up?

Here's the PPD I used (except modified to enable duplex):

http://www.linuxprinting.org/foomatic-db/db/source/PPD/HP/HP_Color_LaserJet_2605.ppd

and my lpoptions file:

    $ cat /home/moseley/.cups/lpoptions
    Default HP_BW_LaserJet_2605

BTW -- is Firefox just not able to provide printing options provided
in th PPD?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley at hank.org