Cups with 2 Depts, 4 queues to only appear as two queues.

Charles Dand charles.dand at penguinfactory.co.uk
Wed Nov 21 05:32:23 PST 2007

I'm trying to find out if I can advertise different printers with the
same name to different groups of printers based upon their IP.

The server is Gentoo running Cups 1.2.12. The clients are a mix of
Ubuntu/Kubuntu Feisty Fawn.

I have two departments on the same 192.168.60.* network. I have
successfully set cups to advertise the Plain and Letter print queue.
Both queues go to the same printer but due to the application that the
users use the print queues for different paper types need to appear as
two queues rather than just changing a print option when printing. Each
Dept has their own printer as such documents they print to the Plain
queue should print on their printer.

My intention was to set one department on an ip range of
192.168.60.50-70 and the other on 192.168.60.100-120. I had hoped their
was a way that I could somehow set cups to use a different printer based
upon the IP that the jobs originated from.

Is there a simpler way of doing this using Classes?

In writing this message I've now confused myself so if this didn't make
a lot of sense....as and I'll try and explain more clearly.

Any information would be appreciated.

Regards,

Charles Dand.