[cups.general] Beginner's problem with authentication policyin1.3.0

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Fri Nov 23 18:43:55 PST 2007

Hi,

On Fri, Nov 23, 2007 at 03:19:37PM -0800, John A. Murdie wrote:

> My apologies, Jerome, I didn't mean to slander PyKota

I didn't take this like that, my message was just informational.

> >From your description, it is PyKota-specific

Unfortunately yes.

> , however. Also from
> your description it seems that we would need to maintain a database
> (in my case) of who owns each of our laptops - from which all print
> jobs emanating are presumed to belong to the laptop's owner.

yes, but this is a one time job : once your database is ready
it's fine. If you use dhcp for these laptops you could also
name the hostnames from their owner's name and set your DNS
accordingly, then the database would be automatically maintained
for you : just use the host command line tool based on the CUPS
client's IP address.

> Wouldn't it be simpler if CUPS itself had a directive which forced
> the user name to be that of the authenticating user rather than that
> of the submitting user?

sure, but this would have to work locally on the laptops, since you'll
never know how many CUPS print servers their jobs will travel through
before reaching the latest one handling physical printers.

bye

Jerome Alet