[cups.general] Keep printer device info

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Sat Nov 24 08:03:38 PST 2007

Johannes Meixner wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this is a proposal for a CUPS enhancement and I like to discuss it
> on the mailing list before I enter it as STR.
>
>   The printing system should keep printer device info.

STR #2531:

     http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2531

FWIW, the important information is the device serial number and/or
MAC address, which uniquely identifies it to the system.

Actual usage of this information will likely happen outside CUPS,
although we may add something to the web interface to detect and move
printers, and cups-deviced may use it to eliminate duplicates.