[cups.general] Keep printer device info

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Tue Nov 27 05:15:24 PST 2007

Hello,

On Nov 24 00:15 Till Kamppeter wrote (shortened):
> Johannes Meixner wrote:
> >
> >   The printing system should keep printer device info.
> Perhaps HAL needs to be enhanced to serve better for printers.

As far as I undersatnd the current HAL design, it is of no help
because it doesn't keep anything about the actual system state
when a re-boot happens.

> system-config-printer only knows to
> do the right thing because it knows about HPLIP.

Each tool would have to have its own special-case knowledge
implemented. E.g. does system-config-printer know what to do
in case of /usr/lib/cups/backend/ekplp?

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex