Beginner's problem with authentication policyin1.3.0

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Tue Nov 27 10:03:43 PST 2007

> > John A. Murdie wrote:
> We have our Linux laptops print successfully with AuthType Negotiate by having them contact the local cups server directly, with 'ServerName cups' in /etc/client.conf. I tried this on the Mac, but the Print & Fax dialogue now shows just the spinning beach-ball.

My mistake. (I typed the wrong server name into /etc/client.conf.) It now works, almost as we want it. The immediate problem is that the MacOS GUI shows the server's printer descriptions as the canonic printer names, and as we have them at the minute, many of these are non-specific, e.g. "staff colour laser printer". (We don't wish to repeat the printer names in the descriptions.) Fortunately, when one hovers over the printer with the mouse, the location (room number) is shown.

The downside of this solution, as I have said, is that the end-user has to enable root logins and change /etc/cups/client.conf as root, and this makes easy location switching difficult. (I'm sure that Apple must have something planned for MacOS X 10.6 that will solve this. :-))

I appreciate that this matter is something to report to Apple directly, and I will do so, but thanks to you, Mike, with your GPL hat on for all the assistance you have given here.

John A. Murdie