[cups.general] Help needed with Raw Queue on network

Alex Janssen alex at ourwoods.org
Tue Nov 27 19:19:03 PST 2007

Alex Janssen said the following on 11/26/2007 09:57 PM:
> Hello,
> I think I need some help from a cups guru, here.
>
> I am running Ubuntu 7.10 with a high speed Genicom dot line printer
> connected to a Generic -> Raw Queue and cups-lpd running via xinetd to
> accept print jobs from my SCO 5.0.6 box where it is set up as a simple
> remote lpd printer.  I have banners turned off in the config dialog.
> /etc/xinetd.d/cups is configured as in the man page, except I added
> only_from=192.168.1.1 to keep others out.
>
> If I print plain-text to it on the U7.10 server, I get exactly what I
> send to it, which is what I want.  If I send plain-text to it from the
> SCO box, via lp, I get a few pages of banner postscript code, then my
> print job in plain text following.  The postscript code is definitely
> from the linux box as it carries a creation date of 20070620 in a
> comment.  I do not have cups on the SCO box.
>
> I thought Raw Queue meant pass it on to the printer with no
> preprocessing.  Is this a bug?
>
> Is cups-lpd doing this or is there something I'm missing in the config.
>
> If I could get rid of this header code, I'd be home-free (I think).
>
> We print many thousands of package and product labels a day on this
> printer, so I had to connect it to someones WinXP box to get the work out.
>
> I had this printer taking jobs on Ubuntu 6.0.6 through a Samba printer
> share for a year and a half.  I had security=share in smb.conf.  It
> suddenly started refusing connections a few days ago and I couldn't
> figure out what went wrong, so I installed U7.10 for the updated cupsys
> install.
>
> I really need to get this printer out of the managers office.  :-(   Help.
>
> Alex

I couldn't get cups-lpd to work so I went back to sharing the printer
with samba.  At least I can get my labels printed that way.  I was
interested in getting cups to work. It seemed like a much cleaner way to
share printers.

I'll try to file some meaningful bug reports and test it from time to time.

Alex

--
Ourwoods.org
 If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of credit card payments. - Unknown (235)