[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #2583: broken for multiple copies in some setups

Jonathan Dobbie jonathan_dobbie at mcad.edu
Sat Nov 3 08:08:38 PDT 2007

[STR New]

The printer is an HP2300 connected by USB to an iMac running ubuntu and
cups 1.3.3 with no changes other than what I have done.  (i.e., not
ubuntu's hacked up non-working thing that it shipped).

CUPS has a class that the printer is a member of.  This class is accessed
via an IPP queue with a URI similar to:
"http://hostname:631/classes/ClassName"

I've tried it with multiple PPDs, but the current setup is the 2300 PPD
that ships with OSX and the ijs PPD on the server.

*note* I tried putting the printer on the network and accessing it with
LPD instead of USB and the problem remained.

Actual problem: the square of the requested number of copies is printed.

Cause: The cups backends process the number of copies if a filename is
entered on the command line, but sets copies to one if the file is
inserted through STDIN.  In the setup listed above, a filename is entered
as an argument, but it was already copied.

I hacked this by setting copies = 1 instead of getting if from argv in
usb.c.  It works for this particular setup, but I'm sure it causes other
problems.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2583
Version: 1.3.3