CUPS not printing test page

Jim Schrage mshrage at snet.net
Mon Nov 5 13:53:47 PST 2007

CUPS not printing test page - paper appears to feed some paper and a couple of printer head swipes are heard, but no further printing occurs.  The status indicates 16% and one page but no further status changes.

The http://localhost:631 browser status line shows alternating "waiting for localhost" message and "transfering data from localhost" messages then a "Done" message, but no printing occurs.

I left it going like that for six(6) hours just to confirm it is a hang type condition.

Operating System: Solaris 10 (Intel)
Printer:          HP Deskjet 6840 at 192.168.1.105
CUPS Version:	  1.2.11 - EasySW Companion CD

I can telnet to 192.168.1.105 and port 9100 and enter typed text and
the HP 6840 prints it with control L or enter.

I tried the same using the lp command from the command line - no difference.  I also tried the configuration of 192.168.1.105:9100?writeeof=false - no difference.