German Umlaute are not printed with cups 1.3.4

Matthias M. Weber mmw at aretaios.de
Wed Nov 7 22:57:51 PST 2007

Since I updated to cups 1.3.4 (from 1.2.12, gentoo distribution) German umlaute and other letters with diacritics are not printed correctly or not at all with ISO 8859-1 file encoding.  I noticed by chance that this error does not occur with utf-8 encoding.  I didn't change anything elso on my system (compiler, locales etc.) and reproduced this behavior with to different printer drivers and printers. However, I do not want to convert my files to utf-8 ...