[cups.bugs] [HIGH] STR #2607: Print jobs dropped or out of order

pbeaty.buffalogames pbeaty at buffalogames.com
Tue Nov 20 07:38:17 PST 2007

[STR New]

I have two label printers hooked up to HP Print servers, and use the cups
system to queue labels for windows pcs.  I'm running cups on Red Hat
Enterprise Linux 4.

If two jobs are submitted each job consisting of hundreds of small label
jobs, one to each printer at the same time the system has a difficult time
keeping the jobs in order.  This causes labels to print out of order or
sometimes they're skipped entirely.

Furthermore, if just one large job 1000+ labels is submitted to just one
printer, it will start dropping labels.  This isn't a max print job
problem since I've upped that in the config files.

It's as if the queueing system has an option that says, "If busy, skip or
hold job for later."

The only clue I'm getting from the log is, "Started backend
/usr/lib/cups/backend/socket (PID <some pid #>) for job <some job #>".

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2607
Version: 1.4-current