[cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #2611: link fails in pdftops.cxx: undefined symbol: vtable for __cxxabiv1 ...

Dennis Chang dchang0 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 07:26:50 PST 2007

[STR New]

Hi, all--

I'm using AIX 5.3.0 ML5 with the following IBM-provided AIX Toolbox for
LINUX RPMs:

make-3.80-1
gcc-4.0.0-1
gcc-c++-4.0.0-1
libgcc-4.0.0-1
libstdc++-4.0.0-1
libstdc++-devel-4.0.0-1

While trying to build CUPS 1.3.4, I keep running into the following fatal
error during the build:
-----

Compiling pdftops.cxx...
Linking pdftops...
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: vtable for
__cxxabiv1::__class_type_info
ld: 0711-317 ERROR: Undefined symbol: vtable for
__cxxabiv1::__si_class_type_info
ld: 0711-345 Use the -bloadmap or -bnoquiet option to obtain more
information.
collect2: ld returned 8 exit status
make[1]: *** [pdftops] Error 1
make: *** [all] Error 1

-----
I've checked Google, and some NetBSDers encountered the exact same error
with a much older version of CUPS.  They've got a fix, but it involves a
patch to a file called cups/builtin.mk, which doesn't seem to be in CUPS
1.3.4.  This patch is at:
http://www.ascia.fi/~jml/pkgsrc/darwin/cups-builtin.diff

Another Googled tip suggested modifying config-scripts/cups-compiler.m4 to
set CXXLIBS="libsupc++.a".  This tip does solve the error but seems to
create some more errors later in the build.

How do I fix this problem?  Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
D.

Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2611
Version: 1.3.4