Print job hangs

Jeff Bowar jeff at tecmind.com
Thu Nov 29 14:22:09 PST 2007

I have a CentOS 5 box with many printers defined.  Some are LPD, some are HPJetDirect, some are to tty ports.  Several times a day, on any of these connection, the print job will hang in the queue - it will show up in "lpstat -o", but not leave the cue.  Through experimentation, I learned that if I cancel the job, it will usually release and all jobs behind the hung one will also print.  I also tried using cupsdisable and cupsenable, and that also releases the jobs.  The current configuration is using SYS V interface scripts, with the "application/octet-stream" line uncommented in both MIME files as these jobs need to be handled as raw.  The problem also occurs using PPD interfaces.  I am looking for any ideas as to why this should be happening; this customer prints a lot.

Thanks,

Jeff Bowar