Problems printing through Samba

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Oct 1 07:09:09 PDT 2007

Daniel Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am experiencing problems while printing through Samba in CUPS. I
> have a printer configured in Raw mode, and I've uncommented the lines
> in mime.convs and mime.types for application/octet-stream.
>
> Printing from the command line works.

Can you tell us the output of these two commands:

  lpstat -v 2file_lp ; lpstat -p 2file_lp

> But when I print through Samba, nothing is printed, and I get a weird
> message in the CUPS server, the printer queue gets disabled and does
> not accept jobs anymore unless you restart the queue.
>
> Versions are:
> Samba 3.0.23
> Cups 1.2.0

Which OS is that? Have you considered upgrading to CUPS 1.2.12 (have a
look at http://www.cups.org/relnotes.php to find out what bug fixes you
may be missing...)?

>From what you describe this may well be a Samba configuration problem.

So please tell us which configuration your Samba uses (but without any
of the included comments). Post the output of this command please:

   testparm -sv | grep -E "cups|lp|print|spool|driver|job"

In case you have some printer shares set up separately in smb.conf (in-
stead of simply relying on the global print settings), please post the
complete [printername] section as well.

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS