cupsaddsmb

Kurt Pfeifle k1pfeifle at gmx.net
Mon Oct 1 09:17:41 PDT 2007

wolfgang wrote:
> hi there,
>
> i tried to install the cups driver via cupsaddsmb but it  doesnt work.

Ah... so you have Windows clients, and Samba? Which versions of each?
Which version of CUPS?

> i always get the message "No windows drivers installed!" when i use
> cupsaddsmb -U root -a -v
>
> here my smb.conf
>
> [print$]
>   path = /etc/samba/drivers
>   guest ok = no
>   read only = yes
>   browseable = yes
>   write list = root. @ntadmin

This is not enough info to evaluate your Samba printing setup. Please
post the output of this command:

  testparm -vs | grep -E "cups|print|spool|driver|lp|job"

We also need the content of your cupsd.conf file:

  grep -Ev "^$|^#" /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

> i copied the cups driver into /usr/share/cups/drivers

What is the output of these commands now:

  ls -l /usr/share/cups/drivers/*
  cups-config --datadir

?

> i also did a smbpasswd -a root.
>
> i cant fidn anything about this errormessage.
>
> can someone help me?

One thing you could try is to use parameters "-h" and "-H" to specify
the CUPS and Samba hosts to use:

  cupsaddsmb -H sambaserver -U sambauser -a -h cupsserver -v

Assuming both servers (CUPS+Samba) are on localhost, try this:

  cupsaddsmb -H localhost -U root -a -h localhost -v

I suspect your CUPS server does not listen on localhost:631 and/or does
use unix domain socket as the default connection. This does not work
for cupsaddsmb without specifying the Samba server with -H.

--
Kurt Pfeifle
System & Network Printing Consultant ---- Linux/Unix/Windows/Samba/CUPS