Performance issues in cups 1.3

Johan Bernhardsson johan at anykey.se
Wed Oct 3 11:41:02 PDT 2007

A client of mine has a printing solution that has a pretty high load.

They have two servers with both the same amount of printers.

The clients that browses both servers and builds classes of each printer so that we have redundancy.

The amount of printers is around 1100.

The linux servers are rhel 4 with cups 1.3.0 backported.
And hp-ux 11.11 as a client with a minimal compiled cups.

Right now the servers has about 18000 jobs per server and about 50000 pages.

When we push alot jobs through a client the load rises quite fast and we get delays.

This seems to have started with the 1.3 release as we didnt have that in 1.2.7 that we ran before. The cpu usage is not the same.

Has anyone else noted anything like this ?

/Johan "SmallOne" Bernhardsson