[cups.general] Discovering IPP queues

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Thu Oct 4 06:34:28 PDT 2007

I'm developing a feature for a CUPS administration tool
(system-config-printer) which uses libcups, and I'm trying to work out
how it needs to be done.  I've looked through some of the IPP standards,
but I find them quite confusing. :-(

The feature is: when setting up a CUPS queue for a network IPP-capable
printer, as much as possible should be discovered automatically.  The
objective is to construct a valid device URI for a given device.

As I understand it, this is quite hard: the snmp backend has had its IPP
probing taken out I see.

If I have just the host name of a device that claims to support IPP, is
there anything I can do to obtain a valid device URI that can be used to
print to it?

Alternatively, if the user also needs to supply a queue name, is there
any way of combining a host name and queue name to form a valid IPP URI,
or does it just depend on the device?

Thanks,
Tim.
*/