Performance issues in cups 1.3

Bernd Krumböck b.krumboeck at rewe-group.at
Thu Oct 4 23:02:46 PDT 2007

Hello!

I can confirm performance issues on HP-UX. But we already saw them in 1.2.x.
Sadly I hadn't enough time to analyze this. Maybe there are two miscellaneous problems, because a colleague has reported additional performance issues with 1.3.

Our Environment:
HP-UX 11.11 (HPPA)
HP-UX 11.23 (IA64)
HP-UX 11.31 (IA64)
SLES10
Mostly used CUPS versions: 1.2.7 and 1.2.11

We use tho SLES10 server with about 500 printers. The HP-UX servers poll this linux cluster and use implicit classes for redundancy.

First issue we saw in 1.2.x (don't exactly know the version):
When we create 10 jobs on the HP-UX client, sometimes it takes about 10-12 seconds to get transfered to the linux cluster.

Second issue which comes with 1.3.x:
During first startup, when no printers cached on HP-UX server, the cups daemon responds very slowly.

Please consider, that I didn't analyze one of this issues. So the description of the symptoms may not be accurate.

Hopefully I get some time in future to attend to this issues.

In the meanwhile we have enough CPU performance to ignore it. ;)

regards!
Bernd