[cups.general] Performance issues in cups 1.3

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Fri Oct 5 03:55:43 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-05 at 03:43 -0700, Bernd KrumbXXck wrote:
> Found the reason for our first performance issue:
> Sometimes we send more than 200 jobs in a short time (1-3 minutes). Sadly there is a timeout with 10 seconds between each job.
>
> The printer can process an print a job within 0,5-3 seconds.
>
> I assume the "check for any active jobs" in the function select_timeout causes our performance issue.

I think it might be the 10-second polling loop in backend/ipp.c.  First
time round the loop the printer is still processing the job; next time
round it has finished but it is 10 seconds later.

Perhaps the polling should start off quite fast (say, once every second)
for the first 10 seconds or so, and then change to one every 10 seconds.

Tim.
*/