[cups.general] BrowseTimeout directive not effective

Brian Potkin brian at copernicus.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 9 07:12:32 PDT 2007

I have two machines A and X.

A runs Debian stable (CUPS 1.2.7).
X runs Debian unstable (CUPS 1.3.2).

/etc/cups/cupsd.conf is the same for both version of CUPS. I think the
portion relevant to this report is:

> LogLevel info
> SystemGroup lpadmin
> Port 631
> Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
>
> Browsing On
> BrowseOrder allow,deny
> BrowseAllow @LOCAL
> BrowseAddress @LOCAL
>
> DefaultAuthType Basic
>
> <Location />
>   Allow shared printing...
>   Order allow,deny
>   Allow @LOCAL
> </Location>

On commenting out BrowseAddress on X and restarting cupsd the printers
shown as available on A change immediately, rather than after the
default 300 second BrowseTimeout.

Commenting out BrowseAddress on A leads to having to wait the expected
300 seconds before the printer list on X reflects what is available.

The outcome is the same with other values of BrowseTimeout.

Am I lacking some understanding of the changes in CUPS in the 1.3 series
and what BrowseTimeout does or is this a bug?

--
Brian.