[cups.general] BrowseTimeout

Brian Potkin brian at copernicus.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 9 07:42:33 PDT 2007

I have CUPS 1.2.7 from Debian stable. In the changelog, under CHANGES IN
CUPS V1.2.2, it tells me:

> The scheduler now forces BrowseTimeout to be at least twice the
> BrowseInterval value and non-zero to avoid common configuration
> errors.

So when I put, for example,

BrowseInterval 50
BrowseTimeout 70

in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf /var/log/cups/error_log reports

> A [05/Oct/2007:14:08:48 +0100] Invalid BrowseTimeout value 70!
> A [05/Oct/2007:14:08:48 +0100] Reset BrowseTimeout to 100!

Originally I thought this was informing me that BrowseTimeout had been
reset to 100 but now I see it is an Alert and merely giving advice.

Furthermore, testing the time it takes for the printers on this machine
to not show up on the network (lpstat -a) by commenting out the line

BrowseAddress @LOCAL

I find that happens after about 70 seconds rather than 100 seconds. So
it appears BrowseTimeout=2xBrowseInterval is not enforced by the
scheduler. My testing has not been extensive but other BrowseTimeout
values which cause alerts have been used. All give similar results to
the above.

My inclination is to think of this as a bug but perhaps there is more to
it than I realise.

--
Brian.