[cups.general] BrowseTimeout

Brian Potkin brian at copernicus.demon.co.uk
Tue Oct 9 15:04:05 PDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 09, 2007 at 09:09:39AM -0700, Kurt Pfeifle wrote:

> You should put the BrowseTimeout value to at least double, better treble
> or quatruple the value of the BrowseInterval setting. If you don't CUPS
> will do it for you (using the double value).

Having read the changelog and some comments in the list archives
concerning BrowseTimeout and BrowseInterval it was my intention to do
this. However, to improve my understanding of the concepts involved I
carried out the tests I described. As you will see from another message
in this thread my chosen technique was not a good one.

> (The reason is to allow for at least one browse update to be missed due
> to network problems etc. without immediately loosing the queue...)

Your reference to 'network problems' was one element which caused me to
rethink what I was doing. Thanks.

--
Brian.